Question Sheet: The science of disappearing
- What does it mean to disappear or be invisible?
- What is light?
- What would be one use of being able to make something invisible?
- What’s one fictional story that includes some way of making something or
- Who is Steven Cummer and why is he in this story?
- Did John Pendry actually build an invisibility cloak in 2006? If not, what
did he do?
- Did the first invisibility device actually make something disappear?
- What are radiation and the electromagnetic spectrum?
- What is a metamaterial?
- Why is it hard to make an invisibility cloak for visible light?
- Why could you use the same idea for steering light to also protect an island
from a tsunami? How would this work?
- Why might studying metamaterials in college be a good idea?
- Who are some scientists who did early work on helping to understand light
and the electromagnetic spectrum?
- Find out one project that combines nanotechnology and metamaterials. Why
would nanotechnology help in making metamaterials?