Question Sheet: Workouts: Does Stretching Help?
- Describe how you would warm up before a soccer game or some other sport in which you participate.
- Why is stretching commonly considered a good idea before exercise?
- What does Stacy Ingraham do and what is her position on stretching?
- What is the ACL?
- Draw a picture of how a skeletal muscle works.
- Is stretching at all helpful?
- How is stretching different from lifting weights?
- What does the article recommend an athlete do before he or she starts exercising?
- What particular stretches would you imagine are the hardest on your body? Why?
- What is Yoga? If you don’t know, check the Internet to obtain information about Yoga. See, for example, www.americanyogaassociation.org/general.html#WhatisYoga(American Yoga Association). How might Yoga exercises that involve stretching help you? Could they also hurt you? Why are Yoga exercises not recommended for children under 16?
- Why are women more flexible than men?
- How do supplements or diet affect how muscle fibers grow and multiply?
- What should an athlete do when he or she has sore muscles? See, for example,
- How does temperature affect muscles? You can learn more about muscles and how they work at kidshealth.org/kid/body/muscles_noSW.html (KidsHealth for Kids).
- How does a doctor fix a torn hamstring? See orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/hamstring.htm (About.Com).
- Create a recommended reading list for someone who wants to know more about stretching and muscles.
- Write a letter to your gym teacher explaining why you should not stretch before exercise in gym class.
A runner warms up for 35 minutes. He then runs a race, going 1 mile in 5 minutes, 10 seconds. Finally, he cools down by jogging for 20 minutes. How much time does he spend altogether on this activity? What percentage of the total time does he spend actually running the race?