- What is biodiversity?
- In what ways do different species rely on one another within an ecosystem?
- Where is Guyana and for what animal is it an American “hotspot?”
- Why does Burt Lim work at night?
- What does the number of bat species found in the Iwokrama Forest tell us about its overall biodiversity?
- How is the Operation Wallacea program in Guyana like a census?
- What is a tapir?
- Where does one-half to three-quarters of Earth’s plant and animal species live?
- Explain two ways animals help plants reproduce in the rainforest.
- How do humans benefit from biodiversity?
- What is a mist net?
10. Define a transect.
11. Approximately what percentage of the estimated number of species of living things has been named?
12. What is an indicator species?
13. Explain how deforestation can harm biodiversity.
- What are some of the pros and cons of conserving tropical forest?
- Why is identifying a new species of animal important?
- People want to use the timber, oil, land and other natural resources contained in the world’s tropical forests. Can you think of ways of encouraging them to preserve the rainforests instead?
- Can you think of a plant or animal species that has gone extinct where you live? How might that extinction have affected the rest of your ecosystem?