Teacher’s Questions for Invasive Earthworms Feature
- What is an invasive species? Can you name a few invasive species in America?
- Give a few examples of how humans use earthworms?
- How do earthworms enrich the soil where they live?
- From where and when did earthworms arrive in northern North America?
- What kind of geological event in northern North America wiped out any possible native earthworms 11,000 years ago? Why would this event have rid the region of earthworms?
- Describe the three kinds of earthworms.
- Describe three ways in which invasive earthworms have changed native landscapes. How have the worms impacted native plants, fungi and animals?
- Name two ways in which humans use earthworms and assist in their spread?
- Can you name another animal that creates new habitats? (Hint: They build dams.)
- Do humans create new habitats? Is this a good or bad thing?
- Do you think there should be laws forbidding the use of invasive earthworms in fishing and gardening?
- Can you name other plants and animals that are invasive but widely used by people?