Teacher’s Questions for “Watson a game-changer for science”
- Do you think computers can understand human speech? Give an example of a computer understanding simple human speech. (Hint: Think of what often happens when you call an 800 or 888 telephone number.)
- Who is Watson? What did Watson achieve that no computer had achieved before?
- What is “natural language”?
- Name another high-profile game-winning supercomputer. How are Deep Blue and Watson different?
- What did David Ferrucci’s team create to “teach” Watson to put words into context?
- How are Watson’s search capabilities different from an online search engine’s capabilities?
- Name the method that scientists used to help Watson learn from its own training.
- Give one example of how scientists are using Watson’s technology outside of Jeopardy!
- List some differences between Watson and the computer you use at home or at school.
- Can Watson become smarter? How does Watson do this?
- What kinds of things can computers teach humans about themselves?
1. List a few examples of how computers help humans in everyday ways. Now list a few examples of things that you would like to see computers help humans with in the future.