1. What does endothermic mean? How do endothermic animals get the energy that fuels their actions and keeps their bodies warm?
2. How do you think hummingbirds stay warm?
1. What makes the black metaltail a record-holder? What is that record?
2. How did Blair Wolf’s team measure the temperatures of hummingbirds?
3. What is torpor and which of the studied birds used this strategy to deal with cold temperatures?
4. How big an energy savings can torpor give a black metaltail, based on the story?
5. As they leave torpor, how fast can hummingbirds rewarm their bodies?
1. If black metaltails can cool to almost 37° Celsius overnight, does that make them warm blooded or cold blooded? Explain your reasoning.
3. Pick another denizen of a very cold part of the world and explain how it deals with deep chill-downs at night or in winter.