1. NASA is planning on sending humans to Mars. What things must the space agency bring to the Red Planet or make there in order to support a colony of astronauts?
2. What is carbon dioxide? List three facts about this gas.
1. What is the MOXIE instrument and what is its job?
2. In what way is MOXIE like “an electrical tree,” according to Michael Hecht?
3. Where is most of the oxygen on Mars found?
4. How did MOXIE get to Mars and when did it arrive?
5. How successful was the first MOXIE test on Mars? What powered it? At full production, how much of its product can MOXIE make?
6. MOXIE is a small device. What is the primary goal of a full-scale version? For instance, what do NASA scientists see as the most important need for its product gas?
1. Do some research on traveling to the Red Planet. Science News for Students has a lot of background information on NASA’s planned missions for human exploration of Mars. Based on what you learn, list the pros and cons of being part of such a mission. If given a chance, would you rather take part as part of the ground crew or part of the space crew? Explain your decision.