To accompany “A whale’s nearly four-hour-long dive sets a new record”
1. What type of animal is a whale?
2. How long do you think a whale could hold its breath underwater?
1. Which species of whale holds the record for the deepest dive and how deep was it?
2. What was the 2014 record for the longest dive by a whale and what species did it?
3. What is anaerobic respiration?
4. Which marine mammal did scientists at Duke University Marine Laboratory study to better understand how whales manage long dives?
5. How long do most whale dives last?
6. In the Duke University study, what percentage of whale dives exceeded 78 minutes?
1. Why do you think scientists believe studying the underwater breathing patterns of marine mammals, especially whales, is important? Explain your answer.
2. Why do you think whales spend a good portion of their day underwater?