Questions for “Mantis shrimp inspires somersaults of new soft robot”
To accompany “Mantis shrimp inspires somersaults of new soft robot”
1. Describe a somersault. In what environments would such a move be easy to do? Across which environments would it be difficult to carry out?
2. What is a crustacean? Give two examples of these creatures.
1. What is a mantis shrimp? On beach sand, what is the mode of action for the mantis shrimp known as Nannosquilla decemspinosa?
2. How quickly can this creature move along a beach?
3. Wen-Bo Li based a SomBot on Nannosquilla decemspinosa. In what ways did the robot resemble the mantis shrimp?
4. How quickly can SomBot travel?
5. According to Daniela Rus, for what tasks do engineers often choose soft robots?
6. In what environments does SomBot work best? Where does it not work well at this time?
1. Engineers often build traits or design features into their new products based, as here, on something that already exists in nature. Why do you think they do that?
2. If you were given a SomBot, what tasks would you have it carry out?