Questions for “Many student athletes face risk of concussions that heal slowly”
To accompany “Many student athletes face risk of concussions that heal slowly”
1. What is a concussion? What causes a concussion?
2. Does someone have to lose consciousness in order to have concussion?
1. How long, on average, does it take a high-school athlete to recover from a concussion?
2. Which sport do studies say is most responsible for student-athlete concussions? Name at least three other sports that also are associated with student concussions.
3. What percentage of high-school athletes between the ages of 14 and 18 have previously suffered a concussion?
4. According to the story, why might girls take longer to recover from a concussion than boys?
5. What are the signs that someone has suffered a concussion?
6. What types of tests do doctors generally perform when evaluating whether a concussed athlete is ready to play again?
1. What steps can schools take to reduce the number of concussions on the playing field or court? Explain your answer.
2. Do you think certain high-school sports should be banned because of the problems associated with concussions? Why or why not?