To accompany feature: Gender: When the body and brain disagree
1. Research the definitions for a) biological sex; and b) gender identity. Are the two terms interchangeable? Why or why not?
2. How important is it to feel comfortable in one’s own identity?
1. What changed in Zoë MacGregor’s life beginning around age 9?
2. Provide some examples of the changes typical in a social transition.
3. Define “transgender.”
4. Is a gender transition about choice? Use information from the story to justify your answer.
5. How do people typically express their gender identity?
6. When is sex determined in human development?
7. Which parents contribute the X and Y genes in XX and XY individuals?
8. Are cisgender individuals common? Why or why not?
9. How does testosterone affect development?
10. What is the goal of the TransYouth Project?
1. Explain why it might be important to include a control in a scientific study.
2. Imagine a friend is undergoing a social transition. How could you make your friend feel more accepted?
1. Should driver licenses, passports and other documents list the gender of a person’s birth or, if transgender, the person’s new gender identity? What difference, if any, might it make? Support your argument.