- Based on its title, what do you think this article might be about?
- How would you go about starting to build a robot?
- Why was Monica Furman worried about her team’s robot? What happened to it?
- What is RoboCup Junior?
- What sorts of difficulties and challenges do robot designers face?
- Describe the rules of robot soccer. See agents.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/dev/rcj/rcjsoccer.php?itemid=68(Brooklyn College).
- Why was the robot dance category one in which students could be especially
- What did Adrienne Klein mean when she said, “. . . risk-taking is what we
really wanted to reward here”?
- In robot soccer, why would it probably be easier to build a goalie robot
than it would be to build a striker robot?
- Consider two different ways that a robot might “strike” a ball. What would
be the problems and advantages of each striking mechanism?
- Why would lots of students use or begin with a Lego-based robot kit? Do you
think that you would use such a kit to build a robot? Why or why not? See mindstorms.lego.com/(Lego).
- What kind of professions might a kid who is interested in robots pursue? See
- If the organizers of RoboCup Junior were to add a fourth event for robots,
what do you think it should be? Describe what the competition would involve.
RoboCup 2006 is being held in June in Bremen, Germany. See www.robocup2006.org/ (RoboCup 2006). Where in Germany is the city of Bremen? How would you get there from where you live? Where was RoboCup 2005 held? See www.robocup2005.org/home/default.aspx (RoboCup 2005) How many countries and teams participated in RoboCup 2005? See www.robocup2005.org/pdf/PressRelease20050621.pdf (RoboCup 2005).
- Design a poster advertising one of the three RoboCup Junior events.
- Why do journalists often write about contests and competitions? What does
the reader learn from such articles? What is the most important information that
an article about a contest should include?
Alex has $9.70 in nickels, dimes, and quarters. The number of nickels is 4 more than 3 times the number of dimes, and the number of quarters is 5 fewer than 2 times the number of nickels. How many nickels does Alex have?