Questions for “Space station sensors saw how weird ‘blue jet’ lightning forms”
To accompany “Space station sensors saw how weird ‘blue jet’ lightning forms”
1. Name three attributes of lightning.
2. How many different types of lightning can you name?
1. Based on the story, what is a blue jet?
2. What makes blue jets weird?
3. Where in the atmosphere do they exist (i.e., at what altitudes)?
4. According to Torsten Neubert, how do blue jets start?
5. What atmospheric conditions might allow these jets to form, according to Neubert?
6. According to Victor Pasko, why do scientists care how or why such phenomena exist?
1. Do some research and name at least three different types of lightning. Describe how each forms.
2. Could blue jets cause thundersnow? Why or why not? (If you need more information on thundersnow to answer this, consult our explainer.)